Tuesday, March 17, 2009

www.rocksaltandwildflowers.com

I've been looking at dirty snow lately and instead of being excited about spring and looking forward to summer, I'm just resentful. This time of year is usually fun for people who live in NH because during the winter, human presence is virtually undetectable.

Once March tumbles in, people start turning out. Although during the heart of January they might have been outside shoveling, snowblowing, scraping their windshields, they don't look at you. There is an unwritten rule of NO-EYE-CONTACT. You don't want to get into a conversation with anyone when you just know your tongue is going to be stuck to your lip if you open your mouth just to say "hi."

(If the Aliens come to Earth during the winter, they will identify NH as a wasteland where they will set up headquarters and this will be good for them because by the time spring arrives, they will have conducted enough research and will be prepared to meet people in the slow, small, consistent doses that March and April appear to provide.)

Literally, people start appearing. They wave and smile. It's usually worth a good smirk to realize that your community is just sort of suddenly, "populating."

I don't care. I'm still resentful. Besides being chronically resentful about just about almost everything else you could possibly imagine, I'm resentful that I can so vividly picture the memory of a snowplow on the road in front of me, spewing rock salt and dirty snow onto the hood of my car and completely obscuring any visibility through my windshield. I can remember it as though it happened on the way home this evening, despite the fact that we're enjoying 55 degree weather here.

It's just that I hate rock salt so much. It poisons animals, pollutes the environment, kills the paint on my car, ruins my shoes, and strikes me as such a sterling characteristic of living in New Hampshire.

My new blog address (which I'm waffling about and which I think I might change again) was an impulsive decision. I concluded that I needed to try just a little harder to be happy living on the banks of melted, salted, sandy, poisonous grey slush for five months out of the year.

Most people might just plan a trip to Florida. Or change their real address. But I'm here, it doesn't look like moving is in the cards, and I have a blog. And I do like the wild flowers during the summer. I once heard someone say the seed was so expensive they didn't know whether to plant it or smoke it.

So, the new address is www.rocksaltandwildflowers.com. I am attempting to embrace the fact that living in NH means living with rock salt, while reminding myself that wildflowers provide beautiful roadside distraction. Or something like that.

I'm not sure what will happen to all my fans but I can't let you hold me back. (Seriously, I noticed my links to Cool Blogs and Random Interests didn't come with me, so I guess I'll spend an evening this week recreating that list.)

Also, I know Forsythia isn't technically classified as wild, but it sure looks wild and it's one of my favorite plants. I love the fact that it flowers before it grows leaves. It's so hopeful.

People who prune their Forsythia like hedges should be sent to PRISON.

By the way, today when I went into work, the creepy guy who's in charge of maintenance was using a real, electric vacuum cleaner in the parking lot. You know why? Because a regular broom isn't enough when it comes to rock salt and sand.

3 comments:

Michael Hawes said...

I have to agree with you on the rock salt business. Here in AZ we used to use volcanic cinders and then because of budgets and safety they have gone to a liquid magnesium chloride that they spray on the roads. Supposedly it isn't harmful to your car or trees etc but I think they are full of crap because I can see the damage it does to my car when I change the oil. As far as the wildflowers go you should see them blossoming out here right now. This is probably one of the best times of year to be in Arizona. The weather is beautiful,high 80s, and the flowers are beautiful. Why don't you come out for a visit?

RC said...

I like the rock salt and wildflowers name now I know where it came from. I'm probably bad but I don't have any problem with rock salt on the roads as long as it keeps everyone safe. Took me 1 month to get my car fixed after an accident this winter.
By the way, the creepy maintenance man is not really that creepy. I started having conversations with him whenever I could, just to see what he'ld have to say. He's a little odd but better since he cut that long hair. It' a challenge to get him to enter into a conversation so have fun with it. Hopefully, it will be the most challenging thing you have to deal with all day at work!

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand shaped forsythia.