Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Trees, Ornaments, Cans of Soup: They All Have Feelings Too

My mother was not a particularly sentimental woman. She had a sort of disdain for saving mementos even from some of life's more significant events. Shortly after she was married she donated her wedding gown to a convent so the nuns could wear it when they became brides of God. I remember playing with her wedding veil until the tulle on it turned yellow and became matted like dreadlocks. She was the one who got sick of it, and when she did, she simply threw it out. I was the one who cried.

So, when I got married on December 19th, 1998, I had little Christmas ornaments made from the design of my wedding invitation and I gave them out to my guests. I had a few extra and so did she. Five years later, when I was getting divorced, I asked her, "What do you think I should do with the ornaments?" Her short answer: "Hang them on the tree."

Of course! What was I thinking? Duh.

In fact, I spent Christmas with my mother in Pennsylvania when my divorce, highly contested, became legal on Christmas Day of 2003. I remember looking at the tree and thinking, "How many of these ornaments did she get anyway?" The tree was covered with them. Apparently, she must have really liked them -- she had quite a few.

Of course, I was not surprised she didn't even fake an attempt to protect me emotionally (I can hear her now, "...from Christmas ornaments?!?!"). My mother was ruthless when it came to stuff like that. When it came to throwing away things like high school yearbooks ("You'll never see them again!"), giving away your favorite paperbacks ("Sorry, I thought you read it already!"), she was glib and completely at a loss trying to figure out the arcane value we attached to things.

The irony is that what my mother lacked when it came to feelings of nostalgia, she more than made up for when it came to anthropomorphizing.... anthropomorphizing almost anything. She was one of those people who could make you believe that a can of soup could feel lonely. She thought of her sewing machine as eager and she believed her cat had a true and internally articulated desire to be held like a real human baby.

She was gifted.

Her ability to impose human feelings on virtually anything made her one of the greatest kindergarten teachers who ever walked the planet. She taught children to read by using blow-up cartoon characters of letters and the following year, she criticized the new teacher for letting the students see "Mr. M" lying deflated on the shelf. I could never figure out if she was sad for the students, sad for herself, or sad for Mr. M.

Hence the Christmas wedding ornaments. My mother loved decorating for Christmas and she loved her Christmas tree.


(She loved it right up until the day after Christmas. Then, all of a sudden, having crossed that invisible line, her tree became simply a piece of dried out, fire-hazard-needle-dropping-heap-of-nostalgia, and it needed to be immediately removed and set curbside as soon as possible, lights included.)

My mother really liked the Christmas wedding ornaments and liking them made it worse for her. She thought they were pretty and she attached no negative emotional significance to them. Therefore, she absolutely did not want them to feel lonely and left out and she knew they would make the tree (feel) pretty.

And after all, as she once said to me about Christmas trees: "They want to be dressed up, you know."

Now I have the ornaments; they're sprinkled all over my tree, I think of her and I figure who cares if they were once attached to something else. (Who was that guy anyway?)

I also have these great cupcakes, golden pine cones, and this adorable bird. I love ornaments. I think my tree does too.

11 comments:

Mim said...

Well, after all it isn't the trees fault that you went up and got divorced! It would be like having to give back jewlery after you broke up with the guy (and for the record, I don't do that) (and also for the record, the last time I dated I had a curfew, so you can imagine the quality of said jewlery)
I remeber the letter people. Some of them were a little scary to me.
Lovely ornaments.
Oh and BTW, sarah must be on her best behavor with you, or I have a low tolerence for bossy.
It's probably me.

JAF said...

Yes, right! Not the tree's fault -- or the ornaments for that matter. One of my officemates is going through a separation and she was just bemoaning the fact that as she hung her ornaments, they all had meaning -- I told her she shouldn't make them suffer too.

If you can remember the letter people, you are young!

JeannieBoBeanie said...

I remember splitting up the ornaments when I moved out... the good news... I made sure that he got all the Star Wars and Star Trek ornaments!!

Kissy Dugan said...

This gives us such a specific and poignant look in to both of your personalities. I love it. It's a nice tribute to Mary Jo and from her vantage point she is surely smiling.

My son is currently eating hand soap and ripping ornaments from our tree. I want to stick mini Ikea pencils in my eyeballs (but I had LASIK so I won't).

JAF said...

I think if you're having trouble leaving comments it might be because they come to my e-mail first and then I post them. Sarah told me to do that so I could control the "crazy." Of course, that would be most of my friends and relatives -- sticking pencils in their eyes and hanging Star Wars ornaments?!?!?! (seriously, how many Christmases can you possibly put up with Star Wars ornaments?)

Mim said...

To ammend my first comment, least I come off as an unfeeling wretch. When I thouoght I was getting divorced I had a huge yardsale and sold almost everything we got for our wedding, all of my dishes...it was one of 2 things, wither we are selective as to where we place sentiment, or I really just wanted an excuse for new dishes....

JAF said...

Hmmmm, "when I THOUGHT I was getting a divorce..."...does that mean you thought you were getting a divorce and you sold all your stuff and then you didn't get a divorce and bought all new stuff? That's a pretty good strategy.

SMC said...

I think I would have liked to know your mother.....

JAF said...

SMC - my mother was awesome...writing this little tiny post about her has caused a stampede of family and friends.

Anonymous said...

Jen, Wow, Great job. It was nice reading about Mom and her ways - I had not thought of some of that stuff for a long time. And I recall I did not like the tree disappearing so fast!

JAF said...

Do you remember this? "THAT TREE IS COMING DOWN!!!!".....or how abt this: "Oh no, we're not going anywhere tomorrow...we're TAKING THAT TREE DOWN TOMORROW!"